Blue matcha is a powdered tea made from a flower called butterfly pea. What makes it stand out is its striking blue color and mild, earthy taste.
This article is all about blue matcha. You are going learn how to incorporate it into your lifestyle and diet with creative and delicious ideas.
What is Blue Matcha?
Blue matcha is a unique powdered tea made from butterfly pea flowers. It differs from traditional green matcha, as it has a striking blue color.
Butterfly pea flowers are known for their vibrant blue color and health benefits in Southeast Asian cuisine. The flowers are dried and ground into a fine powder to make blue matcha.
Blue matcha has a mild, earthy flavor that’s slightly sweeter than green tea. It adds a unique flavor to various recipes.
Read Next>>The Ultimate Guide to Caffeine in Tea
The Health Benefits of Blue Matcha Tea
Blue matcha has a lot of antioxidants, which protect your body from harmful free radicals. It can potentially help prevent chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease. It also contains compounds that can improve cognitive function, boost energy levels, and promote relaxation.
Blue matcha is a great alternative to traditional green matcha, as it is not only tasty but also healthy. It can be an excellent addition to anyone’s diet, promoting overall well-being.
Might Improve The Liver
The liver is vital for keeping us healthy by getting rid of toxins, processing nutrients, and breaking down drugs. Some studies suggest that matcha might also help protect the liver.
For example, a study gave diabetic rats matcha for 16 weeks and found it helped protect their kidneys and liver. Another study showed 80 people with liver disease a green tea extract or a placebo for 90 days. After 12 weeks, the extract lowered liver enzyme levels, a sign of liver damage.
Get Creative With it in the Kitchen!
In addition to its health benefits, blue matcha’s striking blue color makes it a popular choice for Instagram-worthy photos and social media posts. It can be used to create colorful and healthy smoothie bowls, baked goods, and even cocktails.
To prepare blue matcha tea, simply add a small amount of the powder to hot water and whisk until frothy. You can also add other ingredients such as honey, lemon, or almond milk to enhance the flavor and texture.
If you’re feeling adventurous, try using blue matcha in your skincare routine. Its antioxidant properties can help reduce inflammation and protect your skin from environmental stressors. Simply mix a small amount of the powder with water or a carrier oil and apply it to your skin for a soothing and rejuvenating effect.
Blue vs Green Matcha
Blue and green matcha are both made from the same plant, Camellia sinensis, but they differ in a few keyways.
- Color: The most obvious difference between blue matcha and green matcha is their color. Green matcha is a vibrant shade of green, while blue matcha is a stunning blue hue.
- Taste: Green matcha has a slightly bitter and earthy taste, while blue matcha has a milder and more floral taste with a slightly sweet finish.
- Processing: Green matcha is made from shade-grown tea leaves that are steamed, dried, and ground into a fine powder. The blue, on the other hand, is made from a blend of butterfly pea flower and green tea powder.
- Nutrition: Both are rich in antioxidants, but the blue may have a slight edge due to the additional antioxidants in butterfly pea flower.
- Uses: Green matcha is most commonly consumed as a tea, but it can also be used in recipes such as smoothies, baked goods, and even savory dishes. Blue can be used in the same way as green matcha, but its unique blue color makes it a fun addition to drinks, desserts, and other colorful recipes.
How to Prepare Blue Matcha
If you’re curious about how to prepare blue matcha, it’s easier than you may think. Here’s a step-by-step guide to making the perfect cup of blue tea.
1. Boil fresh water and let it cool for a minute or two.
2. In a bowl or mug, add about 1/2 teaspoon of blue matcha powder.
3. Slowly pour the hot water into the bowl or mug with the powder and whisk it together until frothy. Use a bamboo whisk for the best results, or a fork or electric whisk if needed.
4. If desired, add honey or almond milk to taste.
It’s important to use high-quality blue matcha powder for the best taste and nutritional benefits. The water temperature should be around 175-180°F (80-82°C) for blue matcha, slightly cooler than traditional green matcha. Whisk the powder and water together until frothy and smooth but avoid over-whisking.
If you’re looking to experiment with flavors, you can add a squeeze of lemon or lime juice for a citrus twist, or coconut milk for a creamy, tropical taste.
In addition to tea, you can use it in a variety of recipes. It adds a unique blue color and mild flavor to smoothie bowls, baked goods, and even cocktails.
When using blue matcha in recipes, keep in mind that a little goes a long way. Too much can overpower the other flavors and alter the texture. Start with a small amount and adjust to taste.
Another way to enjoy blue matcha is by incorporating it into your skincare routine. Its antioxidant properties can help reduce inflammation and protect your skin from environmental stressors.
To make a simple blue matcha face mask, mix a small amount of blue matcha powder with water or a carrier oil (such as coconut or jojoba oil) to create a paste. Apply to your face and leave on for 10-15 minutes before rinsing off with warm water.
Other Ways to Enjoy Blue Matcha
Blue matcha is a versatile ingredient that you can use to add a unique twist to your favorite recipes. Try adding it to smoothie bowls, pancakes, muffins, and homemade ice cream. Use it as a natural food dye to color frosting or baked goods.
1. Food Recipes:
Add blue matcha to your favorite recipes for a unique twist. It can be added to smoothie bowls, pancakes, muffins, and even homemade ice cream. Use it as a natural food dye to color frosting or baked goods.
Blue matcha smoothie bowl recipe
If you’re looking for a healthy and colorful breakfast or snack, try making a blue matcha smoothie bowl! Here’s a simple recipe to get you started:
Blue Matcha Smoothie Bowl
– 1 banana
– 1 cup frozen blueberries
– 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
– 1 tsp blue matcha powder
– Toppings of your choice (fruit, granola, chia seeds, nuts, or coconut flakes)
1. In a blender, combine the banana, frozen blueberries, almond milk, and blue matcha powder. Blend until smooth and creamy.
2. Pour the smoothie into a bowl and add your desired toppings.
3. Enjoy immediately and be sure to mix the toppings into the smoothie for a delicious and satisfying breakfast or snack!
This blue matcha smoothie bowl is not only delicious and nutritious, but it’s also a fun and colorful way to start your day.
To rejuvenate your skin, mix the blue powder with water or a carrier oil and apply it to your face for a refreshing effect. Its antioxidants can help reduce inflammation and protect your skin from environmental stressors.
Add it to lemonade or coconut water for a colorful and refreshing beverage. You can also use it to create unique cocktails that will impress your guests.
Don’t forget to add it to your dessert recipes! It can add a pop of color and flavor to frosting, whipped cream, and even homemade popsicles. Its versatility is endless, and it’s a great ingredient to experiment with in the kitchen and in your beauty routine. Its unique blue color and potential health benefits make it a great addition to any lifestyle.
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp blue matcha powder
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, honey, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Add the blue matcha powder and whisk again until smooth. Add the blueberries.
- Pour the mixture into popsicle molds and insert popsicle sticks.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours, or until completely frozen.
- To remove the popsicles from the molds, run them under warm water for a few seconds until they loosen and slide out easily.
Whether you choose to make blue matcha tea, add it to your favorite recipe, or mix it into your skincare routine, you’re sure to enjoy its many benefits.
With its growing popularity and unique characteristics, blue matcha is becoming the ingredient of choice for those seeking a healthy and colorful addition to their diets and lifestyles.
Also, why don’t you add a cup steaming matcha latte in your self-care routine?
So why not join the trend and discover what the blue stuff can do for you? Your taste buds and your body will thank you!